PORTHLEVEN BOWLING CLUB

The friendly club with modern thinking and old fashioned standards

Copyright: Porthleven Bowling Club 2014

Porthleven Bowling Club is a great bowls venue for men and ladies of all ages and abilities. We already have several supporters but we can always use more so if you would like to sponsor a trophy or something else, please contact us.


SPONSORS


 

2016-2017 4 Wood Short Mat Competition sponsored by

Trelawny Citroen


2015-2016 2 Wood Short Mat Competition sponsored by

Serenity Financial Planning

locally based specialists in all personal finance issues

www.serenityfp.com/the-team/cornwall-office


2015-2016 4 Wood Pairs Competition sponsored by

Alarm Guard Ltd

One of the largest alarm and CCTV companies in Cornwall

www.alarmguard.co.uk




Additional 2015-2016

Short Mat Sponsors


Kernow Cabs

Porthleven based Taxis

07967 998016

Transport for every occasion

www.kernowcabs.co.uk


Garden Kitchen Cafe

Trevena Cross Garden Centre

Open every day for snacks and full dinners www.trevenacross.co.uk/content/about-us/garden-kitchen-cafe




2016 Lawn Bowling Programme sponsored by

Porthleven Historic Photographic Collection

based at

Out Of The Blue

History


With thanks to club member Olive Polglase who has supplied much of this information.


In the late 1950’s a group of like minded people got together with one target in mind; to start a bowling club in the Porthleven area. A possible site was identified and after a lot of hard work Porthleven Bowling Club was established. We remain ever grateful for the dedication and determination showed by these people.


The first competitive game played on the new green took place on June 30th 1959 with the first wood bowled at 6.30pm. The members of this first team were:


C. E. Polkinghorne                        J. Arthur                          M. S. Parker

R. Hosking                                     J.A.S. Pascoe                   W. Bowden

G. Johns                                         J. Harvey                          I. Edwards

H. Rosewarne                                C. Johns                           T. Dunstan

Reserve: c. Wills


Unfortunately details of all the members are not available and no photograph of that first game exists.


Over the years club members have worked tirelessly to enhance and improve club facilities. The car park was added, followed by changing rooms. Next, a club house was built. The club house was extended when funds became available and then extended to its present size when the short mat variant of the sport became popular.